Our Mission at the Orangutan Conservancy
Our Mission Statement
The Orangutan Conservancy (OC) is dedicated to the protection of orangutans in their natural habitat through research, capacity building, education and public awareness programs, and by supporting numerous on-the-ground efforts to save Southeast Asia’s only great ape.
Specifically we carry out this mission as follows:
- By providing funding and logistical support to a variety of orangutan protection programs
- By providing funding to various wildlife research programs in Indonesia that support and coordinate orangutan conservation
- By staging the annual OC/OVAG Veterinary Workshop in Indonesia where orangutan wildlife vets share their knowledge
- By providing emergency funding to help protect critical habitats of the orangutan, including efforts to control forest fires where important populations exist or supporting other emergency activities
- By improving public awareness of the plight of the orangutan and their habitats on Borneo and Sumatra
Today it is estimated that 27,000 species are extinguished every year in the world’s rainforests – or 74 species a day. Orangutans are found only in the rainforests of Borneo and Sumatra. The population of wild orangutans has declined by more than half in the last 50 years, and approximately 80% of their natural habitat has been lost in the last half century. Current research suggests that there are only about 50,000 – 100,000 left in the wild.
The Orangutan Conservancy works to protect orangutans in their natural environment, and if we can help this great ape to survive for the future, many other native species, including plants and insects, will also be here for generations to come.
The Orangutan Conservancy is an independent US nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization. OC is operated primarily by dedicated volunteers, and it strives to keep administrative costs to a minimum to ensure that donations reach the projects in the field.
The Orangutan Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer: It is the policy of OC to provide all persons with equal employment practices and opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran or marital status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Become an OC supporter today and join us in the mission to protect orangutans and their rainforest home.