Anonymous donor pledges to match every single donation up to $4,000 until December 12th, 2020. As challenging as 2020 has been, there is still light at the end of the tunnel. A dedicated supporter of orangutan conservation has taken on the fight to save orangutans by matching donations up to $4,000 made to the conservancy from now until December, 12th. …
Orangutan Caring Week is a worldwide event hosted by World Orangutan Events. The week long event is focused on bringing not only attention to the plight of orangutans but subsequent action on the part of the public. Just being aware of the orangutans’ imminent extinction is not enough to protect them. We must use our knowledge to fight for their …
Five great apes exist on earth today, two of them are on the brink of extinction, two are decreasing rapidly in population, and one is the most abundant primate species on earth.
Are you as fascinated by orangutans as we are? Check out our 10 most interesting interesting facts about orangutans below:
- Orangutans are only found in Southeast Asia, more specifically in Borneo and Sumatra!
- Orangutans share 97% of their DNA with humans!
- There are actually 3 different species of orangutan; Sumatran, Bornean, and Tapanuli.
- All species of orangutan are critically endangered according to the IUCN.
- Orangutans are the largest tree-living mammal in the world!
- Orangutans eat over 300 different kinds of fruit.
- An orangutan can live about 35 to 40 years in the wild.
- The current population of wild orangutans consists of about 50,000 – 65,000 individuals.
- Males have large cheek pads that develop once they are fully matured adults.
- Orangutans are the only great ape that live naturally outside of Africa (other than humans!)